Muscovy Duck

Muscovy Duck
Roosting on the gate

2011 - My second year of blogging in Brittany

I felt I would like to share some of the photographs I have taken so far this year and some from other years. I live in a beautiful part of Brittany and just love being here. It's a lovely place to photograph and enjoy being in through all the seasons and hopefully this blog will show you where I live my life.



Thursday, May 1, 2014

A Grand Day Out in Locronan


Woke up to a foggy day on Tuesday but it soon burnt off and turned out to be a lovely day.  I was driven to Locronan, in Finistère.  A lovely small town built at the foot of a hill. It was granted town status in 1505 by Anne of Brittany, who went there on a pilgrimage. Locronan’s parish church of St. Ronan dates from 1424 having been built on the site of the original oratory which was built in 1031. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To the right of the church is the Chapel of Penity, built in 1480, where the effigy of the patron saints Ronan, is housed.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The sun coming through the stained glass widows cast wonderful colours on the stone floor in there.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I took many photos of architectural details - here are some of them:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Reflections on the stone floor and a reed seated chair from the sun streaming through the stained glass windows.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The buildings were fascinating and the shops very tempting.  I bought a ceramic pot for paté in the shape of a duck to add to my already too large collection, a pair of pink dangly earrings and a bag of dark chocolate goodies.   There was a really good variety of artisan shops selling everything from glass, wool, ceramics, biscuits, jewellery etc. etc. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We then drove to the coast as I wanted to walk on a beach.  It seemed ages since I'd done that and it was such a beautiful day.
 
We headed towards Douarnenez via Kerlaz and found a long beach with tiny waves of shallow water warming on the sun heated sand.  I turned up my jeans and paddled in the salty water.  It was lovely and not at all cold.
 
 
There were three vans with trailers on the beach and they had been gathering shell fish - tiny shellfish for sale to Spain and Portugal.  Their harvesting was restricted to three hours at high and at low tide and carefully controlled to preserve the stocks.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
There were lovely patterns in the sand where the water had been running onto the beach and our shadows were there too. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A grand day out!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Three things I like:
 
1.   Spending the day in a lovely place and then paddling in the sea.
2.   Lunching in the sunshine with a good book.
3.   Walking on the beach holding hands.

4 comments: